These days there are many products on the market that promise to increase the length and volume of your eyelashes, but only one of these products, Latisse Eyelash Growth, has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for this purpose. Made by Allergen, the same company that produces Botox, Latisse Eyelash Growth is a prescription-only product that, when used regularly, promises to increase the length and fullness of your natural lashes.
Latisse Eyelash Growth normally sells for around $130-$140, making it very comparable in price to other products of its kind. Users will need to apply the product once a day, every day, for at least 8-16 weeks before they see any noticeable results, and will need to continue using the product in order to maintain their new longer lashes.
How to Apply Latisse Eyelash Growth
According to Allergen, Latisse Eyelash Growth should be applied once a day, preferably at night, to the base of the upper eyelashes. For best results, the product should be applied every day for 8-16 weeks using a sterile and disposable applicator. Applying Latisse Eyelash Growth is very similar to applying mascara, in that you should begin at the inner corner, nearest the eye, and brush a thin coating of the serum along the entire length of the lash. The product typically leaves no mess, and can be washed off after 8-12 hours using your regular facial cleanser.
Latisse Eyelash Growth: Ingredients
Bimatoprost, a drug that was first approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat glaucoma and ocular pressure, is the lone active ingredient in Latisse Eyelash Growth. This may sound like two very different functions (glaucoma and eyelash growth), but one of the primary side effects of bimatoprost is hair growth, and it is this function of the drug that makes Latisse Eyelash Growth an effective treatment for thinning and sparse eyelashes.
The product also has a number of inactive ingredients, including benzalkonium chloride (an ingredient that with prolonged use can cause irritation in some users), sodium chloride, sodium phosphate, dibasic, citric acid and purified water.
Latisse Eyelash Growth: Pros and Cons
- FDA Approved. Naturally, one of the benefits of Latisse Eyelash Growth is it’s FDA approval. Because of this, Allergen is required to divulge extensive information about the product, including its ingredients, proper usage and the potential side effects.
- Price. Latisse Eyelash Growth retails for around $130. This may sound like quite a bit of money for a product of its kind, but when you consider that many of the non-FDA approved eyelash growth stimulants can cost upwards of $150, you’ll realize that Allergen has priced this product very fairly.
- Proven to work. To become FDA approved, Latisse Eyelash Growth has obviously gone through extensive testing and many clinical trials that have ultimately proved the effectiveness of this product as an eyelash growth stimulant.
- Side Effects. Many people assume that because a product is FDA approved it will not cause side effects. This is not necessarily true. Many customers have reported side effects when using Latisse Eyelash Growth, including redness, irritation, dryness and itching at the contact site; a dark discoloration of the skin in the treatment area; lashes falling out; and in rare cases, changes in eye color.
- Need a Prescription. Although many online sites allow you to purchase Latisse Eyelash Growth without a prescription, Allergen warns that this can be dangerous. To avoid potentially hazardous consequences, customers should always get a prescription from their doctor prior to using this product, however inconvenient it may be.
- Takes time to work. Allergen recommends you apply Latisse Eyelash Growth for a minimum of 8 weeks, although in many cases it will take more than 16 weeks before you see any noticeable results. This is quite a long time, especially when compared to some other products in this category that claim to work in just a few short weeks. In addition, to maintain the results produced by Latisse Eyelash Growth you must continue to use the product; otherwise, your eyelashes will revert back to their previous state (length, volume, etc.).
While Latisse Eyelash Growth is certainly an effective and affordable product, one that has been tested and approved for use by the FDA, it seems to take longer to work than other products of its kind. It also tends to produce a number of unwanted side effects in many customers, some of which can be very serious.
If you’re looking for a product that is well-regulated, and you don’t mind waiting several months to see any results, Latisse Eyelash Growth may be the perfect product for you. However, if you want to avoid the hassle of getting a prescription and see faster results, without the threat of side effects, there are many other products on the market you may want to check into first before you buy Latisse